John 10 is being used to deceive the sheep — many ‘pastors’ today lying by omission. This first part of the passage (v. 27) is rarely quoted when they claim Jesus is saying we cannot lose our salvation. Jesus’ sheep hear His voice and follow Him, and no one can snatch them out of Jesus’ hand.
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give eternal life to them. They will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all. No one is able to snatch them out of my Father’s hand.
Who is “them?” Those who hear Jesus’ voice and follow Him.
Then look at what Jesus says in John 15 about the Vine and the branches. Branches that don’t abide in Him, not producing fruit that remains are cut off, thrown into the fire and burned.
We must hear and obey to be Jesus’ sheep.
Kevin Conner was one of my Bible teachers at Abbott Loop Bible School in ~ 1984. I hand copied this post out of our textbook. Rick used to call Kevin his mentor. Some highlights:
Kevin Conner on the Believer’s CONDITIONAL Security: “OBEDIENCE IS the very law of SECURITY for all created beings. There can be NO SUCH THING as UNCONDITIONAL security.”
• WARNINGS against backsliding SHOW that the security of the believer is conditional upon obedience and faith
• What God has provided in Christ man must receive and apply
• Divine SOVEREIGNTY *and* human RESPONSIBILITY meet together in the great redemptive plan
• Christ is “the author of eternal salvation unto all them that OBEY him”(Hebrews 5:9)
• Upon HEARING and FOLLOWING the Shepherd they receive eternal life and will never perish
• AS HE OBEYS the Word of the Lord his SECURITY against backsliding and apostacy is FULLY GUARANTEED