Since “once saved always saved” (OSAS) & “only believe” are not Biblical doctrines [refuted by over 80 New Testament verses; were invented by Augustine (4th century) and Luther, Calvin & Beza (16th century)], how then can we be sure of our salvation according to what the Bible really says?
“How can we be sure? ..through the Holy Spirit. When we are led by the Spirit and are walking in the Spirit, we shall enjoy the continuous witness of the Spirit, that intuitive certainty that the Lord is with us. But the New Testament also contains checks even on this, so that we can be quite sure that our intuition is not being misled. These include a clear conscience, a love for our brethren in Christ and a discontinuing of habitual sins (1 John contains a comprehensive list of such ‘proofs’).” – David Pawson, Once Saved Always Saved?: A Study in Perseverance and Inheritance (p. 139; p. 134 Kindle)
My article that shows what the New Testament really says:
Who-Goes-To-Heaven Scriptures — Narrow is the Way | Who are the Children of God? — “There is therefore now *no condemnation* to those who are IN CHRIST Jesus, who don’t WALK according to the flesh, but ACCORDING TO THE SPIRIT”
Kevin Conner was one of my Bible teachers at Abbott Loop Bible School in 1984. I hand copied this post out of our textbook. Rick used to call Kevin his mentor. Some highlights:
• “OBEDIENCE IS the very law of SECURITY for all created beings. There can be NO SUCH THING as UNCONDITIONAL security.”
• WARNINGS against backsliding SHOW that the security of the believer is conditional upon obedience and faith
• What God has provided in Christ man must receive and apply
• Divine SOVEREIGNTY *and* human RESPONSIBILITY meet together in the great redemptive plan
• Christ is “the author of eternal salvation unto all them that OBEY him” (Hebrews 5:9)
• Upon HEARING and FOLLOWING the Shepherd they receive eternal life and will never perish
• AS HE OBEYS the Word of the Lord his SECURITY against backsliding and apostacy is FULLY GUARANTEED
( ) on the Believer’s CONDITIONAL Security: “ for all created beings. There can be .”
Paul, himself made sure he abided in Christ: “Herein I also practice ALWAYS having a CONSCIENCE VOID OF OFFENSE toward God and MEN” (Acts 24:16) — which sometimes required reconciliation to be right with men (Mt. 5:23-26 and James 5:16).
Paul feared losing his own salvation – Ran his race to win! — “I beat my body and bring it into submission lest I myself should be rejected”